Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Voila! With all my posting about non-UFO/WIP knitting, I did manage to do some stealthy, behind the scenes knitting on the ribbon cardigan.
Not that I was trying to be sneaky but this project was another of those "I don't want to bore you with the endless progress updates" situations. I had whined enough about the difficulties of working with this ribbon yarn. But by working in small snatches of time, early in the morning and late at night, I was finally able to move this one to the FO category.
I do love how the buttons turned out (thank you, thank you, thank you, Deb) Deb's husband did an outstanding job designing these buttons to work with the varigated colors of the yarn without dominating or completely disappearing. The glass shanks were very smooth. This yarn tends to snag easily but it flowed like silk through the perfectly sized holes in the shanks. There was a little variation in the hole size between buttons but they were all large enough for a small yarn needle to pass through. All in all, I'd highly recommend Glastonbury Glassworks buttons for any special knitting project. They rock!
I did end up making a pattern modification. The hem was rolling up on this project (don't you hate that?). It was obvious from early on that this would be a problem but since the pattern called for a single crochet edging all the way around, I assumed that it would help correct the tendency to roll.
Well, my faith was unfounded and the single crochet edge was not enough. So I decided to add a crocheted shell edging to the collar, front edge and hems. To say I'm thrilled with the result would be an understatement. This simple modification made a huge difference in the esthetics, IMHO. I love the way the single ridge of garter stitch sets off the hemline along the bottom of the sweater.
Now, if I could just do something with that rather curvy frame under the sweater. My "scallops" aren't crocheted and just don't have the same pizzazz! >:-p