Tuesday, October 07, 2008

An FO (sort of)


Well, Quilters closed on Sunday after a very successful run. I brought home all the costumes and managed to get everything cleaned on Monday and will return the costumes to the storage facilities on Wednesday.

Not that we're going to have a moment to breathe around here, though. Auditions started last night for the CVFT production of A Christmas Carol - The Broadway Musical. Once the cast is set, I'll be back on costume duty as I go back to just being a helper to the regular costumer.


Due to an unforeseen complication, I never did get out front to photograph the costumes. Because of my natural tendency to step in where ever help might be needed, I ended up working back stage. While I didn't think much of it at the time, I actually ended up being listed in the program as "Assistant Stage Manager" and was given a (gasp) head set.

I guess in theater circles, being given a head set is a high honor, reserved only for those intrepid souls who are willing to work behind the scenes for years, without fanfare or kudos, before being rewarded with the ultimate sign of trustworthiness - the illustrious head set.

Trust me, I am not mocking the vaunted traditions of theater but I was completely kerflummoxed when people started explaining what an honor I'd been accorded. Frankly, I was just available in a crunch and came by the head set by default. However, once I realized the enormity of the position, I rose to the challenge and did my utmost to live up to the noble auspices of the head set.

That being said, I was only able to photograph costumes from the wings. Most of the shots were too poorly lit or at bad angles, so these two will have to suffice to show the blogging world I was indeed busy costuming (and assistant stage managing) over the past weeks, instead of maintaining any sort of regular blogging schedule.

In knitting news, the sweater I started recently is progressing nicely. I chose Hey Teach from knitty.com as the pattern and am using the green tweed yarn I picked up on clearance this summer. I've finished the back and both fronts and have started both sleeves. Since the pattern has very short sleeves, I'm still hoping to finish knitting it this week - before the cast list for A Christmas Carol comes out and the whole costume whirlwind starts again.

While I remain optimistic, I don't suggest anyone hold their breath because you know my history of wishful thinking.

5 comments:

Guinifer said...

I think I'm going to join you on that bandwagon!

Congrats on your honor!

Sheepish Annie said...

I think those photos came out great! And I love the idea of a headset. I'd wear one all the time if I could. But no one ever offers me one...

livnletlrn said...

Congratulations on a(nother) job well done!

Ellen said...

Congratulations on a successful run! Perhaps they will do "Bloomers: The Off-Broadway Musical" and your work will again come to light!

Rani said...

The photos are great! I FORGOT the auditions (sniff) I think it would be a fun show to work on!!!!!

oh well. Maybe sound of music...