Friday, October 31, 2008
The Great Costuming Experiement
Trust me, this really isn't a Halloween post. Especially since we don't actually celebrate Halloween in our home. However, the kids had a hey day yesterday, suggesting that I stay in this crazy get-up and hand out candy in my new "mummy" get-up.
That would be somewhat problematic, since I couldn't sit down or use the bathroom in this get up.
No, this was actually a grand experiment to see if I could make my own "Not-So-Mini-Me" duct tape dressmakers dummy.
One of the handicaps I've labored under for years is the lack of a dressmakers dummy to use in my costume construction endeavors. Being a short, full-figured gal, traditional patterns never fit properly without extensive redrafting. And with the publication of the cast list and knowledge that I'd soon be making Early Victorian costumes for myself, I decided that this obstacles had to be addressed and remedied, if I was to have any success designing and constructing a Lorraine Original Victorian Masterpiece.
Hence, in the early morning hours yesterday, I began to wrap myself in white duct tape. It was not long before I realized that this was not a solo job and I enlisted the help of Hockeyman and Bubba to help mummify me. After a couple hours, we were finally able to remove the full body wrapping and I now have a partially completed dummy in my basement. Once I pick up a little more batting (I completely underestimated how much stuffing NSMM actually hold - guess a diet isn't such a bad idea) and find a way to mount NSMM on a stand, I will actually be able to do some draping and fitting.
That is, I hope . . .