Friday, October 31, 2008

The Great Costuming Experiement


Trust me, this really isn't a Halloween post. Especially since we don't actually celebrate Halloween in our home. However, the kids had a hey day yesterday, suggesting that I stay in this crazy get-up and hand out candy in my new "mummy" get-up.

That would be somewhat problematic, since I couldn't sit down or use the bathroom in this get up.

No, this was actually a grand experiment to see if I could make my own "Not-So-Mini-Me" duct tape dressmakers dummy.

One of the handicaps I've labored under for years is the lack of a dressmakers dummy to use in my costume construction endeavors. Being a short, full-figured gal, traditional patterns never fit properly without extensive redrafting. And with the publication of the cast list and knowledge that I'd soon be making Early Victorian costumes for myself, I decided that this obstacles had to be addressed and remedied, if I was to have any success designing and constructing a Lorraine Original Victorian Masterpiece.

Hence, in the early morning hours yesterday, I began to wrap myself in white duct tape. It was not long before I realized that this was not a solo job and I enlisted the help of Hockeyman and Bubba to help mummify me. After a couple hours, we were finally able to remove the full body wrapping and I now have a partially completed dummy in my basement. Once I pick up a little more batting (I completely underestimated how much stuffing NSMM actually hold - guess a diet isn't such a bad idea) and find a way to mount NSMM on a stand, I will actually be able to do some draping and fitting.

That is, I hope . . .

5 comments:

livnletlrn said...

I've heard of doing this and bet it'll be very helpful. I must admit, it does also make a good mummy get-up! boo!

Rani said...

That is so cool and absolutely hilarious! I hope it works! What a grand idea! Think of the sweater making capabilities with your own stand-in.

Guinifer said...

You look kinda like a zombie - hope you don't scare the Sheepie when she stops by!

Ellen said...

Part of your Naughty Nurse costume, I assume?

Sheepish Annie said...

I've seen several of those around the blogging community and think they are a great idea. Of course, as a single gal, I can't do it. I'd be stuck in there forever!