Thursday, December 27, 2007

Socks, socks and more socks

In evaluating my goals and aspirations for 2008, I decided what I really want to do is knit socks - lots and lots of socks. So here is my first official resolution for 2008 - knit socks, socks and more socks.

In one sense, it is a "resolution" because it will help bring down my sock yarn stash, which really has gotten a little out of hand. And with all the yummy sock yarns that are out there that I still haven't played with, stash reduction will give me more chances to experiment with new kinds of yarn.

In another sense, this is a resolution that focuses on taking care of me. Having four kids and a hubby in need of serious and significant support and encouragement, it is far too easy for me to fall into a "poor me" attitude. By focusing on some fun knitting, I'll be ministering to my own wishes for awhile. And end up with some delightful new socks, too.

So, towards that end, I took some time today to wind up six pairs of sock yarn cakes. I started with the Dream in Color Smooshy yarn I picked up at Knit Wits a few weeks ago (the burgandy, brown and greenish cakes). Then I wound up two skeins of black Lang Jawoll I had in my stash. Last but not least were one skein of Trekking XXL (the grey/white cakes) and Fortissima Socka (the brown multi cakes). I have enough yarn caked up to make six pairs of socks.

Of course, Harley had to check out the whirling dervish (aka swift) and decided to hang out with the new yarn cakes.

Now, if I could get him to stop attacking my circular needles while I'm knitting . . .

4 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Yay for socks! My absolute favorite sort of knitting. Very comforting and very, very practical. I don't know how I walked this earth before I started doing it in handknit socks. ;)

livnletlrn said...

If you do your socks with magic loop, Harley will need to find entertainment elsewhere. :-)

RandomRanter said...

Well, the grabbing everything that moves does calm with age, right now I think distraction might be helpful.

Guinifer said...

Well, that Dream in Color knits fast, like the wind!

Harley looks just tiny up on your desk.

No hockey since that miserable game in Bloomington (I swear, the refs blew the whistle 8 times for crease violations, gave us one major, and then put their whistles away, and these kids were way bigger than our guys). We have one practice and then we're done 'til the New Year.