Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Confessions of a Scooper

It has been a crazy, strenuous couple of weeks around here. It has been difficult to get to the fiber arts and garden work is of the maintenance type that really doesn't make for interesting blog fodder. Weeding, watering, removing dead trees, putting up barriers against bunnies who insist on treating MY vegetable garden as their own personal salad bar and general upkeep has been the routine. The flowers are all blooming and the landscaping is nearly at it's peak in color right now but I'm just a little burned out on the whole garden thing right now.

What's more, the job has ended up taking up far more time than I first anticipated. Initially, my schedule was supposed to be Sundays and one Saturday a month. However, The Boss, enjoying her first taste of freedom from the 78 hour work weeks she's endured for the past few years, has called me in repeatedly for extra hours.

Frankly, with gas prices as high as they are, I'm taking all the extra hours I can squeeze in for now, knowing that summer is the high season for ice cream shops and the hours will decrease dramatically in a couple of months. But, glory be, this is hard work.

Sunday was my first 9 hour shift and by Monday morning, both hands and both feet were aching and swollen. All that scooping and serving ice cream takes a toll on the ol' extremities. Needless to say, it is taking a toll on the knitting again, although I'm trying to knit a couple rows a day, just to keep the ol' digits in fightin' form.

So, no garden or fiber photos today. And I think I need a nap.

5 comments:

Guinifer said...

You couldn't find a job that's a little less physical, huh? You're gonna have killer guns by the end of the summer.

sheep#100 said...

Here's hoping that you still love ice cream by the end of the summer!

Sheepish Annie said...

I know it's a tough thing. But you are scooping ice cream. That makes you a hero in my book. I like ice cream. I like it a lot...

Seriously, though. Take care of that hand. You don't want to re-injure the finger!

Ellen said...

For a moment, when I read your title, I'd forgotten about the ice cream gig and I thought you were going to blog about people not cleaning up after their dogs.

I'm serious!

You can tell what I've been yelling about/turning into a teachable moment with MY teens.

Could you rest your wrists on the big tubs of ice cream as an impromptu ice bag? Feel better soon . . .

livnletlrn said...

Oh, man, you are an overworked boss' dream come true. Just don't overdo it with the scooping arm. Wouldn't want you to end up with tendinitis or some such awfulness. Save the repetitive strain injuries for knitting-related endeavors. ;-)