Monday, July 17, 2006

Anniversary

Well, my DH and I have been married for 19 years today. We celebrated yesterday with dinner and a walk at a local lake and dessert of ice cream, which was refreshing since the heat was so oppressive. I wish I could give pearls of wisdom for marital longevity but I'm just learning as I go along.

I did take the anniversary as an excuse to start a pair of socks. I usually make myself finish something before starting a new project but this hand-dyed sock yarn was burning a hole in my stash basket and I saw a new toe up pattern on www.knitty.com called Widdershins that I've been dying to try. It's going very well and I'm almost ready to start turning my heel. I've modified the pattern slightly, in that I've added a 3x3 ribbing to the top of the foot, to add some elasticity. I'm using a slightly thicker yarn than called for, so it's knitting up pretty dense, so I wanted to add a little stretch. I love hand knit socks for hockey season because I spend so much time sitting in cold rinks watching my son play. The wool socks make a huge difference in my comfort level.

I also spent some time today working on my MBR quilt. My DH and I picked the fabric for this quilt out together while we were on vacation in Colorado. It is an offset log cabin quilt that I designed on my computer using Electric Quilt 4.0 (there is a newer version out now at http://www.electricquilt.com/shop/eq5/eq5.asp). I have 102 paper-pieced blocks with 17 total strips. It is going to be a huge quilt (queen-size bedspread) and I'm making extra blocks for pillow shams and accessories and such, so I work on it whenever I get a few minutes. Machine quilting it is going to be a challenge but it will be lovely when it's done and because my DH and I both picked out the fabric and he'll help me design the final layout (I have four different layout possiblities designed), it will be precious and a true symbol of our love and partnership. Do you think I should make it my goal to finish it by our 20th anniversary?

No comments: