Sunday, June 10, 2007

Where'd my Baby Boy go? (Sniff)

Well, it's nearly time to take Hockeyboy to his first sleep-away camp and I'm feeling a bit misty. My DH and I have been very protective of our kids, so it was a tough decision to sign HB up for this hockey camp, knowing that he'd be out of our direct control for an entire week. But it's time for mommy to stretch the ol' apron strings a little and send the fledgling out for a test flight. (I know I mixed my metaphors - leave me alone, I'm grieving my baby's transformation into an over sized eating machine . . . I mean, independent teenager. Sheesh!)

On the fiber arts front, since a certain nameless (and as of yet, unforgiven) kitty had the unmitigated gall to awaken me at 4 a.m., I ended up pulling out the old sewing machine this morning and started putting together a little sock knitting bag for an upcoming swap. Unfortunately, I can't show you any pictures, since the fabric itself gives away who the recipient will be. But I'm so pleased with my design, I'm going to have to make one for myself next.

What made this morning so much more enjoyable (and drew me closer to forgiving THE CAT) was the delightful musicals that were showing on TCM this morning. I was able to sew along to Andy Hardy, Babes in Arms and Meet Me In St. Louis. I guess it was a Judy Garland morning and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I must say, I've missed playing around with fabric and my sewing machine. I've been mentally going through my quilting UFO's and trying to decide which one(s) I'm going to try and finish this summer. And while digging through the fabric stash, I ran across several patterns and kits that I'd forgotten I had. The possibility of developing quilter's startitis is looming now, too. Fair warning - this blog may become more quilterly over the summer.

Then again, I have two pairs of socks on the needles, the ribbon cardigan to finish and the stealth project to photograph. (My friend is due any minute - woohoo!) I'm also just itching to cast on with the hand dyed yarn from Shepherds Harvest and there are about 6 IK patterns I'm dreaming of starting, too. So there may be a few knitting related posts, too.

Oh, oh, oh, and don't forget the spindle and all the fiber I've got tucked away . . .

And the garden, don't forget the garden projects and woodworking plans for a new arbor and fence and bird feeder and bird houses, lots of bird houses.

Okay, I wasn't joking when I said I don't focus on one thing or another too long. Just call me Will 'o the Wisp. Or fickle, whichever you think fits better. The only guarantee I can give is that things will be wild and woolly around here.

Oh, and forgiving THE CAT will be entirely dependent upon her letting me take a nap without any kneading, purring, licking or attempting to suffocate me by plopping on my face.


Sheepish Annie said...

Boy, I sure hope that nap worked out for you! Kitty needs to think twice before early morning wake up calls. (let me know if you figure out how to teach that to a cat...)

Your son will have a wonderful time and will be very well supervised, I assure you. These things are generally pretty well chaperoned. The people there have not only their own code of ethics to uphold, but are pretty aware of the liability involved in supervising other's kids. But, that doesn't stop a mom from worrying, I know. It's part of the job description!

Guinifer said...

Hope the doctor was able to help you out with antibiotics!

Um, you really do have enough on your list, you know.

Also, I am sure you're sending hockeyboy out with great foundations to base his decisions on - so worry less!!!

livnletlrn said...

I had some of those same mom feelings yesterday as I watched Jesse light a fire in his forge and proceed to pound on glowing melty metal all afternoon. I knit like crazy so I wouldn't think about how many burns are likely to be in our future.

I guess all we can do is hope we've given them a strong foundation on which to grow and make their own choices.

Fingers crossed for all of us! :-)

Rani said...

I went to camp pretty young - first day was homesick - last day cried because I was so sad to leave. He's going to have a blast! But it is so hard to let go (I haven't yet).

Sounds like you've got quite the list of to-do's. Can't wait to see the progress.

Still no cables - yes to Kool-aid.

Shirley Goodwin said...

Sounds like you NEED to get up at 4am to get through all that!