Thursday, March 20, 2008

Squeeee! Maybe . . .

Guess what I'm getting! Go ahead, guess!



Ah, come on, give it a try.



Oh, all right, I'll tell you. I am getting one of these! That is, maybe.

Here's the scoop - I have been wanting a spinning wheel for 3 years now. Being a homeschooling family with four children to educate, our budget hasn't been too cooperative with this desire of mine, spinning wheels being something of a non-necessity and a luxury. But my hubby, knowing my long-term desire for one, as well as acknowledging my patience in waiting for one, has been on the hunt for a used wheel of some sort for quite awhile.

Now, hubby has worked for several years with a gentleman who also raises llama's, who just happens to have a wife who is an avid spinner. While conversing with said gentleman farmer recently, he mentioned my longing for a wheel. The GF spoke with his wife, who made a suggestion, which was communicated to my hubby, who in turn forwarded it to me.

GF's wife happens to have several wheels and offered to let me borrow her portable wheel to try out. Being less active in her spinning guild now and this wheel, having been bought primarily for classes and festivals, is no longer being used very often. So, she is considering parting with it and is generously offering it to me for a "test drive." GF is going to bring it to work next week for my hubby to pick up and bring home.

SO - if I like it and if the price is right and if she finds she can live without it, the wheel may be my permanent property.

Okay, okay, I know that's lots of "ifs" but I was just so excited about the possibility that I couldn't wait to share a bit of my joy. And regardless, I'll have a wheel during Shepherd's Harvest, so I can take the beginning spinning class. If this baby becomes my very own, wonderful. If not, I'll be armed with more knowledge and understanding so that shopping for another wheel will be much easier. It's a win-win, no matter how you look at it.

Squeeeee!

6 comments:

livnletlrn said...

I guessed immediately that there was a wheel in the works! Such fun!!

Sheepish Annie said...

Squeeee, indeed! That is wonderful news!!!!!

I react to the acquisition of wheels in the same manner as I do to pregnancy announcements. Except with maybe a little more of the squeee-ing...

Guinifer said...

Well, I've sure got my fingers crossed for you.

After the Gopher/Mankato game last weekend, I could hardly stomach what happened to Foster - holy cats - he has had the worst season! He broke his face, then he blacked his eye and now this! Did you hear Harding left the bench to call Foster's fiancee? Awww - wouldn't you like to be in the Wild's lockerroom sometimes? Like one big, smelly family. Watchin' the Gophers right now (and I'm an SCSU alum).

Ellen said...

WEEE! I've got a Lendrum double treadle too! I've had mine for about six years and have never regretted it. If it's a nice day Shepherd's Harvest - maybe we can get together by the MKG table and practice together! Unfortunately, it has not stopped by acquisition of already made yarn . . .

sheep#100 said...

Good for you!!!

Tonyia said...

Wow! Hope you've got your hands on that baby now!

I've got a Lendrum double treadle and I LOVE it. It's a great wheel.

It'd be so cool to see you at Shepherd's Harvest with a wheel!