Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Stupid Finger Part Deux

I don't know whether to lay the blame on my husband for buying me a new set of razor sharp kitchen knives for Christmas, myself for jinxing myself while opening gifts by saying I'd probably end up cutting off a finger because these knives are for professional cooks or the fates because they seem to have it in for my left hand fingers. But the "Stupid Finger" made a dramatic return when I managed to slice my left index finger to the bone last night.

Unfortunately, I manged to cut across the first knuckle, exactly along the area where the yarn traverses as I knit. Though I was able to stop the bleeding within 20 minutes, and I knew my tetanus shots were up to date and avoided a trip to urgent care last night, it tends to crack open and bleed unless I splint it and keep it immobile. Alas, my knitting ability is now compromised. (Stupid Finger!)

Thus, my second "goal" for Hat Trick 2009 for the Ravelry Puck This Group is on hold. I had spent a few days reading Knitted Tams by Mary Rowe, had worked up the charts and color plots for the hat and had even managed to get 3" of the hat done before the cutting catastrophe occurred. While I can knit a little by modifying my picking technique, it is just too hard to practice the two-handed Fair Isle knitting technique with a Stupid Finger.

Fortunately, I can manage garter stitch. So I'm back to working on Dancing Diva's blanket once again. And I may cast on a simple rolled-brim baby hat to work toward Goal #2 for the Hat Trick 2009.

In the meantime, my silver lining radar has already come up with some positives about the return of the stupid finger . . . like pawning laundry & dishes off on the kids for a week.

Hooray for silver linings!

5 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

I suppose that it is helpful to look at the bright side of things. And not having to do the dishes is pretty cool...but I'm really starting to worry about your digits!

sheep#100 said...

I just told Number Guy that when I broke my ankle the fact that he did the laundry (I told him to bring me stuff to fold while seated) was not a silver lining.

More like pitted aluminum.

Are you sure you don't want to get that stitched?

PS - Don't let the kids handle the knived, 'kay?

livnletlrn said...

You might not want stitches, but at least some SteriStrips or skin glue will help keep it together so it can heal better and faster.

We got some ultra romantic new knives here for xmas too, but all digits remain intact for now. :::knock wood:::

Oochies woochies! Stupid #(*%& finger!!

livnletlrn said...

p.s. The tam looks great!

Guinifer said...

Didn't you do this not so long ago? Watch out for those hands!