Sunday, February 25, 2007

Spinning

Voila! Proof positive of spinning activity this weekend. The ball on the left is approximately 92 yards of 2 ply fingering weight yarn (my best eye ball estimate) with a WPI of 15. The ball on the right is approximately 112 yards of 2 ply sport weight yarn with a WPI of 12. Neither yarn is particularly even but for a first spinning, I'm not too dissatisfied. You can see the original sliver I started with, of which I still have at least a pound, so I will have lots more to keep practicing with, to improve my ability.

After drying under tension, the yarn has lost all it's curliness, so I'm hoping it will not bias when knit. Now I just have to find a couple of patterns to give the yarn a try.

Well, off to get ready for the last hockey game of the regular season. Wish Hockeyboy luck! They won last night, with HB getting the first goal of the night. They could use another win going into playoffs but they're playing a tough team this afternoon - a really tough team. And they're still down a player, who is out for the season with a separated shoulder. Oh, I'm getting nervous already!

3 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Excellent job on the spinning! Very few people can pull off the finer gauges on their first few tries. And, much like knitted fabric, yarn benefits from a good blocking. I'm an overspinner so I often have to force the fibers to my will.

Good luck to HockeyBoy! I'll bet he does great!

Guinifer said...

ooooo! Luck to the boy. I'll send him my best hockey mom wishes.

Your yarn is looking good. It looks like you'll have lots there - do you have a project destination for it?

livnletlrn said...

Wait a minute...I think I missed something. Did you get a wheel? Or :::gasp::: did you spindle spin those beauties?!