Thursday, July 19, 2007

Random Q & A

Over the past week or so, a number of questions have been asked. They don't seem to relate to one another but reply I must. Not being a professional newscaster, there will be no clever (or even not-so-clever) segues. So, we're just going to enjoy an utterly random Q&A session.

Rani asked:

QUESTION: Can I do a single stitch cable? (or two total?)(for a stocking down the back) - so . . . p,p,slip stitch to cable needle, knit, knit slip stitch p, p, or will I have to do more stitches than that.

And THEN, how many rows do I knit in between?

Yes, you can do a "single stitch" cable, otherwise known as a baby cable. The Orange Twist Socks had a single stitch cable, made as you described, with one row between cable rows. This resulted in a very tight cable, which was deliberate because the gauge was off on my socks and they were going to be too wide. Cables automatically pull in the width of the knitted piece, which I used to size down my socks without frogging and restarting the socks.

When working in the round, as on socks, you can put as many rows between twists as you'd like. However, when working back and forth, you have to put an odd number of rows between twists (i.e. 1 row, 3 rows, 5 rows, etc.) since you should always work cables from the right side of the fabric. How many rows you decide on depends on what you prefer. Make a swatch and experiment before you decide. Hey, you are a designer, after all.

Guinifer asks:

So...where is Zandys?

Zandy's Yarn Etc.

13710 Nicollet Ave.
Burnsville, MN 55337
952-890-3087

Store Hours:
Monday, Thursday, Friday: 10am-5pm
Tuesday, Wednesday: 10am-7pm
Saturday: 10am-3pm

Sunday: starting Sept. 24 Noon-4pm closed on Sundays from April - Sept.
Closed Memorial Day, Independence Day



Tenniel
asks:

Ok I will show my ignorance here - what is the significance of the gnome?

Why, he is a traveling gnome! The inspiration for the swap was the Traveling Gnome Prank. It has been a lot of fun hearing about different knitters' hometowns and I'm thrilled to have Gnorm with me.

She also comments:

By the way I love playing hearts! We will have to play sometime. Does DH play because the 4 of us should play sometime if he does.

Yes, my DH is a Hearts Master. Definitely would love to play Hearts sometime. Call me.

Random Ranter states:

Glad Gnorm arrived safely, he is a fabulous guest. And I'm glad you like the goodies he brought. I feel I must warn you that Gnorm can be a dangerous influence in a yarn shop. (It was all his fault. Really.)

Uh oh! I'm in trooouubble!

2 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Hey, if Gnorm says it's OK to buy yarn then it is surely OK. Relax and go with his infuluence!! He's a professional gnome, for heavens sake! Who else can you rely on in these situations?

Rani said...

Thanks, Lori! I tried to cable, then frogged it - I couldn't keep count. I need a quiet (uninterupted) few hours to get the hang of this. And your help is priceless!!!

Off to Coldwater Collaborative (sale).