Thursday, September 21, 2006

Convergence

Why!?! Why is the universe causing all things tempting and luscious to come at me all at once? When I'm on the most stringent of fiber fasts of my existence. First, I find this. Of course, I have 2 skeins of the required 3 skeins of yarn needed. Do I just bite the bullet and order one more skein? Can I possibly go online with credit card in hand and order just one skein or will some uncontrollable urge overcome my up-to-this-point-in-time-perfect-self-control and will I end up going berserk and end up with yarn worth 1/3 the national debt?

Then the new Knit Picks catalog comes in the mail today. NOOOOOOO! I'm dying to start another shawl and the Alpaca Cloud or Shimmer are the top contenders for my next project. In my sleep-deprived, stressed-to-the-max state, the catalog is almost more than I can resist. Please, universe, stop with the knitterly temptations. Please let all my knitting catalogs somehow get lost in the mail and let all the gorgeous new sock patterns somehow look lackluster until we make our last car payment in a few months and I have money for yarn.

On the non-temptation side, I've bound off the first Fetching and am working on the thumb. I should be able to finish it very soon and hopefully, finish the other this weekend. I won't be posting for a few days because I'm traveling to visit family in Iowa over the weekend. I'll be back Sunday, hopefully with an FO and some pictures to post. It won't be a moment too soon. I had to turn our furnace on yesterday for the first time. It's rainy and cold here and we had our first frost here this week. They're talking snow flurries up toward the Canada border this weekend. That's Minnesota for you. Out of the frying pan and into the deep freeze in less than a week. My next project will be to design a hat to go with Fetching. I love the little cables, so it shouldn't be too hard to make a hat with a cabled brim to match. Who knows, maybe there'll be more than one FO on Monday.

3 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

I wish I was a better person. I wish I could encourage you to take the high road. But, I know that I couldn't do it convincingly. While I wish you the best of fiscal health...I reeeeeealllly want you to get the yarn. I know. I'm ashamed of myself. I'll just go hang my head and think self-deprecating thoughts now.

livnletlrn said...

Well, I'm at least as bad an influence as Annie. When I saw that sock on Eunny's site, the first thing I thought was that I'd like to morph it into a cardigan for me! So, since I'm tempted to buy a whole cardigan's worth of some yarn for it, I say sure, go ahead and buy the skein! My usual rationale is that we get so many hours of enjoyment out of a ball of yarn, and then also end up with a useful item, that even a yarn splurge is a frugal entertainment investment. :-)

Lorraine said...

Oh, you wicked ladies are making this hard, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. If I can just hold out another couple months. Then enablers like you will be so much more appreciated.