Thursday, September 21, 2006

Shameful confessions of the sleep deprived

I'm still blushing. The shame and guilt are so overwhelming. I'm so embarrassed. I'm the worst cheater in the world and the only excuse I have is that I'm sleep-deprived and was so excited and overwhelmed by entering my first blog contest that I seriously goofed up.

I ran across the coolest contest. Well, with the swag this one was promoting, how could I resist, especially being on such a restrictive yarn fast. But in my fiber frenzy, stress-induced insomnia crazed state, I messed up my haiku and pressed publish before proof-reading.

"NO NO NO NO NO NO NO" I scream at the screen. I look frantically for an EDIT feature - none exists. There it is - my flawed haiku for the world to see. I am such a flub.

I frantically re-comment, hoping to redeem the situation by being flippant. But by resubmitting my haiku in a new form, I know I cheated. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I'm a blatant fraud. Oh, the horror. What to do? Should I e-mail January One and plead for her not to blast me publicly and just quietly delete me back into lurkdom? Should I hope that my gaffe just fades into the background of hundreds of comments and pray that the few that notice it just sneer privately and that I don't become the butt of some internet-wide boycott or writing campaign?

For now, I am apologizing to all and sundry here on my blog. Please forgive me. I will refuse any prizes. I cheated, I know it. I didn't mean to. Blame it on on the fiber diet, blame it on sleep deprivation, blame it on my childhood, blame it on the hungry cat that's licking my face and sitting on the keyboard as I type, trying to get me to feed her. Just don't hate me.

No comments: