Sunday, August 20, 2006

Weekend Knitting Progress




I've been a bum this weekend. At least where housework is concerned. I've spent extra time knitting, and I'm unrepentant about it. I have thrown a few loads in the washer today and I did a couple loads of dishes in the dishwasher and I did feed my family, so I can't say I've done nothing family/housework-related at all, but when you have four children, this level of "laziness" is remarkable.

A couple of things led to this . . . 1) Yesterday was Audrey Hepburn's turn on Summer Under the Stars on TCM. I am an immense old movie buff and Audrey is one of my favorites. 2) DD1 had a sleepover Friday night and I had a semi-clean house already and had cooked my famous French toast for everyone Saturday and decided to treat myself to an old movie first thing Sat. morning, then just stayed there (except for kickboxing class) for the rest of the marathon. 3) I woke up with a migraine this morning at 4 am, took my meds and decided to stay up until they kicked in, which, PTL, was quickly on an empty stomach, so started knitting very early this morning. As a result, I have one FO and progress on two other projects.

First of all, I finished the first Flying Purple Widdershin and started the second on Saturday. Then this morning, I remembered my decision to finish the bottom band on Samus when I had some quiet to concentrate. Once my headache was gone, I figured I had my chance, since it was only 5:00 am on Sunday morning. So I finished the band around 8:30 this morning and managed to cast on and knit a few couple inches to boot.

Now, to rant (just a smidge) . . . Ordinarily, I love my Denise needles but for some reason, they are just not working well on Samus. I don't have a long enough cable for the body of the sweater (the fronts and back are all knit in one piece until the armholes) and I had to use a join to connect two cables to make one long enough. The yarn is snagging on the join, which is bad enough but the yarn also seems to be dragging on the rubbery cable material, too. It's a real chore moving the stitches around the cable to the needles and I'm so frustrated with it. So, I'm debating switching to another pair of needles, which I very, very rarely do in the middle of a project. I'm always afraid that no matter how close in size the needles may appear, the place where a change is made will still be obvious. My options are to change now, when I'm within 2 inches of the cable band or to frog it back to within a row or two of the cable band. The most I'd lose is a couple of hours of knitting but I'd have the peace of mind of knowing the change would not be noticeable. Or I could make the change, knit a few rows to see if it's noticeable and then frog it if I had to.

I have no idea how many people actually see this blog, since only a couple friends have actually posted comments but if anyone has any advice, please feel free to let me know what you think. I'm waiting for my size 1 Addis to arrive and would consider adding size 5's to my collection for this project, if necessary. In the meantime, the second flying purple Widdershin and the dance teacher socks are still WIP's in my bag to keep me busy.

Now it's time to do another load of laundry and to work on feeding my family, so I don't look like a total, 100% bum this weekend.

2 comments:

livnletlrn said...

I learned socks on 2 circs and use 2 circs on many in-the-round projects now. Maybe if you use the Denise with 1 cable, it'd be good for 1 side of Samus (which I think is gorgeous, BTW) and you can just use another circ for the other half -- the back, for instance. Not so many stitches to slog around.

And if you're curious, you could sign up at www.blogpatrol.com to see how many folks visit your blog, and some other interesting tidbits about it too.

Lorraine said...

Oops, I guess it looks like it's knit in the round, since I stopped mid-row for the photo. It's not, since it's a zippered cardigan. What brand of circs do you use? I have really old needles with bad joins and I'm slowly replacing them with better needles.