Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Yet another UFO



Here is a vest I started 6 years ago in a class based on the book, The Art of Fabric Collage by Rosemary Eichorn. (The link is listed below.) How do I remember the date so well? Well, I was 8 months pregnant with DD#3 when I took this class. I find it so embarrassing to admit to the age of some of these UFO's. I love this piece but because of having a newborn baby, it went into the UFO box and stayed there. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561585858/sr=8-1/qid=1155045324/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7273269-6529532?ie=UTF8.

One of the things that keeps me from working on this piece is the pinning technique used. They recommended using straight pins to hold all the raw edge pieces down. In my quilting, I use safety pins but was willing to give this technique a try. But I have impaled myself repeatedly as I worked on the free-motion quilting to hold all the appliqued pieces down. Not being particularly masochistic, I found the pain a deterrent to working on this. So I'll probably pull all the straight pins out and replace them with safety pins before finishing it. I'll also need to go back and re-read the book to recall the garment finishing techniques. If you look closely, you'll notice that the applique pieces overlap the shoulder edges. The seams are supposed to be sewn before the applique is sewn down over the shoulders but I don't remember the specifics on the actual construction details. I read the book, cover to cover when I first bought it (my usual habit, as I'm an avid reader). Being an over-committed homeschooling mom with an overflowing in basket, the idea of reading a particularly hefty quilting book right now is a bit daunting. I'm too obsessive to just skim or just read the pertinent info and skip the rest. But perhaps this old dog can learn a few new tricks. As I said, I just love this vest and having it on my wall is making me long to finish it and wear it. Grrrr. Maybe just one chapter . . .

No comments: